This is the written version of my talk notes. Elaborations and comments were added
extemporaneously.
Pressing
….
In January of 1986 the launch
countdown of space shuttle challenger had already begun - 23 minutes, 3 seconds
and counting down - and 7 crew members, including a teacher, and two payload
specialists were suited up and strapped in.
The viewing stands were full of people with binoculars watching the
steaming rocket, anticipating the launch.
Television cameras from all over the
world were sending images into the homes of millions of viewers.
Even as the excitement grew there were
a few who looked upon this event with great fear and maybe even some panic as
those in authority over them disregarded their warnings that there was a
serious problem with the “O” rings. The “O” rings created a pressure seal
separating broiling gases from the solid rocket fuel. Someone from Morton-Thiokol the maker of the
“O” rings and some engineers from NASA, offered a warning and insisted the
launch be shut down. Up the line of
authority, “Go fever” was rampant. This launch
had been planned for years. School
children were watching a teacher be a brave pioneer. Pride, peer pressure and egos overcame the
advice of those who knew that the cooler temperature that day could weaken the
“O” rings.
One scientist likened this event to a
commercial airline allowing a flight to take off even though a wing was about
to fall off.
73 seconds after take off, at an
altitude of over 40,000 feet O-ring pressure seal broke allowing gases and heat
to reach the solid rocket fuel and exploded the shuttle challenger to
smithereens. Thinking about pressure, I
could compare myself to an o ring, understanding if I give in to the wrong kind
of pressure, things are not going to go so well. If I compare myself to the scientists who
sounded the voice of warning, I can understand their anguish, but also the fact
that they stood strong made a difference to them. Sometimes it takes great courage to withstand
the negative powerful forces and pressures around us.
I would like to talk today being a
valiant follower of Christ and two types of pressure that
help us to be faithful and valiant.
First is pressing forward in faith, and second is withstanding the
pressures of the world.
(Demonstration
of isometric hand press – You have to press and withstand at the same time….and
it takes work.)
Lately, preparing for the upcoming
mission, I have felt a considerable amount of pressure and stress – some of it
good and some of it wearing. Each of
you also have pressures to deal with. As
I look out I can see so many people I love and have been inspired by – family,
neighbors, and friends old and new (some friends for over 4 decades!) Thank you for your examples to me. I know some
you have, or are even today dealing with the trials of wayward children,
loneliness, depression, death, serious illness, discouragement, joblessness, debt,
and the consequences of sin or the mistakes of others. Sometimes it seems both
a blessing and a curse to know of the Lord.
It seems great while things are going well, but it might seem as though
the Lord has forgotten you.
But I believe that all the pressures
of earth life are to make us stronger and to try us. Think of a chick pecking through its
egg. Think of a seedling pushing through
the soil. I have some tulips planted
where thick shrubs grew over them. I am
delighted every spring how they
insist on seeing the sun and grow
stems of nearly two feet high so they can bloom in the sunlight where they
belong.
Joseph Smith asked, “What do we hear
in the gospel we have received? A voice
of gladness! A voice of mercy from
heaven..shall we not go on in so great a cause? Courage, let your hearts
rejoice and be exceedingly glad.” He
reminds us we are promised to be rewarded according to our own diligence and perseverance
while in the vineyard (that means while we’re here on earth, now) He encourages
us to respond to pressures by going forward and not backward, be patient and
humble in all circumstances so we can withstand every temptation and overcome
every evil. We can take courage in what
it says in 1 Corinthians 10:13 that God will not suffer you to be tempted
beyond that ye are able to withstand.
That is a powerful statement. He’s not going to tempt or pressure me
beyond that which I can handle – If He thinks I can do it, I can! If He thinks I can be a missionary, a mother,
a friend, a visiting teacher, I can! I
can press forward, and I can withstand.
I‘d like to share 2 analogies where
the use of pressure made a difference. I
will tell you the moral of the story before I share the story.
The first moral is: Beginning with the basics helps you to press
forward and go forward.
(Having faith, repenting, listening to promptings.)
Bed-making Story
(Joke with audience about not making bed…explanation of who Admiral is
and that this was from a graduation speech he made…)
Naval Adm. William H. McRaven, ninth
commander of U.S. Special Operations Command – Seal Team 6
“Every morning in basic SEAL training,
my instructors, who at the time were all Vietnam veterans, would show up in my
barracks room and the first thing they would inspect was your bed. If you
did it right, the corners would be square, the covers pulled tight, the pillow
centered just under the headboard and the extra blanket folded neatly at the
foot of the rack — that's Navy talk for bed.
It was a simple task — mundane at
best. But every morning we were required to make our bed to perfection. It
seemed a little ridiculous at the time, particularly in light of the fact that
were aspiring to be real warriors, tough battle-hardened SEALs, but the wisdom
of this simple act has been proven to me many times over.
If you make your bed every morning you
will have accomplished the first task of the day. It will give you a small
sense of pride, and it will encourage you to do another task and another and
another. By the end of the day, that one task completed will have turned
into many tasks completed. Making your bed will also reinforce the fact that
little things in life matter. If you can't do the little things right, you
will never do the big things right.
And, if by chance you have a miserable
day, you will come home to a bed that is made — that you made — and a made bed
gives you encouragement that tomorrow will be better.”
(Comments on how taking care of basics each day adds to our successes – not
just making your bed, but taking care of those foundational spiritual basics.)
The second moral is: You
can learn to press-out the wrinkles in your life, but you have to be careful
and realize there will always be more wrinkles to press out.
Story of Nic
I learned early about pressure and
wrinkles.
I remember someone telling me not to
put my fingers near the wringer of an old washing (probably my Grandma’s)
because my fingers or my arm could bet squished and broken. I remember my mother with a basket of clean
clothes selecting shirts from the pile to iron.
She would shake out the shirt and then sprinkle water on them from a pop
bottle with a kind of miniature showerhead on it. Then she would roll up the shirts and wait a
few minutes until they were dampened.
Then she would iron the shirts in a certain order, which she taught me,
collar, yoke, sleeves, cuffs then all the way around the shirt from the placket
to the row of buttons. When all the
wrinkles were pressed from the shirt she’d put it on a hanger adding it to the
pretty neat row of good smelling shirts.
One day, the skill of pressing shirts would come in handy for my
grandson, Nic. A few weeks ago Nic was
preparing to go to his fist homecoming dance with a bunch of other boys. His parents bought him a new outfit, slacks,
shoes, tie, belt and a new white shirt
When it came close to the time to get dressed, his mom was busy and Nic
set up the ironing board so he could press the fold lines out of shirt. I watched from the sidelines with
curiosity. I could se he was going
nowhere fast, so I asked him if he wanted me to teach him how to iron the
shirt. H looked relieved until he
realized I wasn’t going to do it for him.
He had to apply the right amount of pressure in the right direction to get
the wrinkles out, one by one. A few
times he made worse wrinkles and had to work more to make it straight and
smooth. He had to manage the amount of
heat to prevent the shirt from scorching.
When he was done he had the look of satisfaction. The next day I asked him how the dance
went. He said it was lame, they went to
the dance for a few minutes then rode around in a car to find a place to eat
and then sat in a parking lot. But, hey,
his shirt looked good!
We will always have wrinkles. And either we keep at it, or we fall away,
and slip back instead of pressing forward.
Remember in Lehi’s dream, people were pressing forward until they
partook of the sweetness of the gospel.
Some fell by the way, distracted by the world’s ways, unable to make it
as far as they could have. Remember
Nephi teaches us to press forward with a steadfastness in Christ.
If you’re an “O” ring doing your job
you stand up to a lot of heat and pressure.
If you make your bed daily, in a
spiritual sense, applying habits like prayer, returning good for evil,
forgiving others and having charity, you can withstand temptation and negative
forces and press forward with faith.
If you tend to the wrinkles in your
life, maybe you’ll figure out to wear permanent press, and live a life for
Christ that will make some wrinkles take care of themselves.
(Bear testimony – love, gratitude.)
In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
So dear readers, all 2 of you, do you
have any experiences you could share where you had to press forward, or
withstand negative pressures? Your stories could help me and others. Thanks.
loved your talk! This will be so fun to share in your adventure! thanks love you!OXoOXoOXo betsy
ReplyDelete