Sunday, October 9, 2016

Goin' Down de Islands on a Mission - Getting Ready


In 3 weeks and 1 day, I (Sister Catherine Cryer Peterson) will be dragging my luggage and missionary companion, Tom, through the doors of the MTC to embark on a journey and report as a humanitarian missionary to serve the Lord in the Trinidad Port-of-Spain Mission of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  I’ve waited a lifetime to for this opportunity and I acknowledge the blessings of a gracious Heavenly Father in bringing me to this point.  There are many pre-departure requirements that prospective missionaries must meet and personal tasks that I wanted to get completed.  Here’s a condensed list:

Ecclesiastical Approval

Medical Assessments                                                                                                                        
You name it the body part, they check it.

Immunizations                                                                                                                                  
For this Caribbean mission you get stuck for hepatitis A&B, influenza, pneumonia, typhoid, shingles, tetanus, yellow fever, diphtheria and pertussis.

Put Household in Order                                                                                         
For me, this has been a massive effort in making a last stab at getting rid of my children’s leftovers – you know, the remains of offspring that tend to think your basement is a storage unit.  Also, my contribution to the ecosystem has been the donation of the contents of 10 year old bottles of canned peaches, quince jam no one ever ate, stewed tomatoes with 2001 on the lids, and frozen foods sparkling with permafrost and decorated with ribbons of leaky strawberry freezer jam, as well as nearly unrecognizable plastic freezer bags of leftover turkey stock, split pea soup, shriveled sweet corn and green peas that look like green raisins.  I never have been good at rotating food, especially if it means chiseling it out of the back of the freezer.     
Another self-imposed task has been to gather like items from the four corners of my world into categorical storage.  For example, taking Jamie’s blue taffeta floral embossed high-school choir performance dress and putting it in the costume bag along with the Indian tom-toms, leftover sequined dance leotard, semi-smashed straw hat and black wig of unknown origin.  And I now have that bag of stuff waiting by my front door to be donated to innocent victims.   There have been similar gatherings of bedding, fans and heaters, newly emptied canning jars, craft and sewing supplies, memorabilia, photos, outerwear, underwear, tools, car stuff, garden stuff, etc.  One of my favorites has been sporting goods – deflated balls for every game imaginable, random golf clubs, stashes of golf balls (some of which may be remnants of those meant to be sold for 50 cents apiece having been salvaged from the water hazard at the Hobble Creek golf course by my 6th and 7th grade sons years ago) in the sports department in the garage. 
All this includes preparing the home for the house-sitters (Mary’s family of 4) who will attempt to preserve and protect the family house while we’re gone.

Put Financial Affairs in Order
Planning to pay for a mission has entailed a lot of patient work and information gathering to plan, forecast and budget.  This task seemed unpleasant because in the process I have been reminded of my hopeful eventual passing into the realms beyond and my status in the eternities which might or might not include wearing some sort of burqa or broken wings or leftover P.E. tee-shirts, depending on my worthiness. We put together our family trust, bought our funeral plans and gravesites, started taking Social Security, and I had a garage sale and used my gift certificates from Mothers’ Days, Christmases, and birthdays. 

Packing
This job is the least favorite of all I have been working on.  After the forewarning of the immunizations for tropical disease and the suggestion to bring long pants, insect repellent, and Permethrin because of pathogenic mosquitos, cockroaches and no-see-ums, I realized packing would be a fun reminder of what may come.  Let’s see, are mosquitos attracted to yellow or pink?  Should I take flyswatters, a year’s supply of dehydrated canned goods so I don’t get parasites or diarrhea?  Should I take blouses to match my slacks and skirts or match the pants with a top, and the skirts with a different top?  Should I take my fraying towels, or buy new ones?  If my suitcase is overweight which items will I put in the airport trashcan?  Will my cell phone work?  The next few days I will have to find answers to these burning questions and slip every thoughtful item into the possibility pile, then select the absolute necessaries.

Humans and Hugs
Not exactly a “task,” my people have been generally extra sweet and affectionate.  It is as though all of a sudden the “Let’s-get-together-sometime-soons,” which most often go unfulfilled, have come to pass during this time.  It has been so nice to get together with old friends, family and riff-raff from my past.  If you read this, you riff-raff know exactly who I’m talking about.  The support and love has been much appreciated, and has brought me to further realize the greatness of God’s children, and my good fortune to know and love some of the greatest.  My heart has swelled, my eyes teared up, my joy jumped and love grown through considering all I have grown to love and all I may meet in the future.

Lots of Other Stuff, Too
Not the end, but the end of my day!
           
 























1 comment: